Saturday, March 10, 2007

'Snow Leopard' 2.5" x 5" oil
I volunteered at the Exotic Feline Breeding Compound (affectionaly called 'the cat house'), in Rosemond, California, for 2 years. I gave tours a couple of times a week plus helped with the feeding and cleaning. To feed we would prepare the meals - each had a specific diet and private feed pan. I was allowed to go into the cages to photograph, I had to have one person in the cage with me carrying a rake and another at the cage door. This being the same precautions we used for cleaning the cages every day. They had a great variety of big cats including Snow, Amur, African, Asian Leopards to Bobcats, Cougar. This Snow Leopard was one that I had the pleasure of knowing. They have the softest fur I've ever felt, which is the main reason they are on the endangered list. I've never understood why humans would think the fur would look better on them than on the animal, to the point they would condone the slaughter for their personal vanity. I was so lucky to have had the pleasure of serving them in the compound's attempt to save these gorgeous felines.

The price is $100 unframed or #135 framed. Click here to purchase.

No comments: